Saturday, March 8, 2008

Week 9, Thing # 22 ebooks and audio ebooks

I've got a fairly large collection of audiobooks (mostly donated) in my high school library. Most are on audiocassettes, and are bulky and inconvenient to use, as students no longer have Walkmen on which to listen to them. Tiny technology now, and so much more convenient. I think it's important to offer these audio formats, as many people learn better by listening, or in different venues.
I looked at the Project Gutenberg link, and downloaded all of Jane Austen's Emma in less than a minute. Clear print, and easy to read, though it required rotating the text every two-page spread. Over all it is amazing!
I also found the link to Distributed Proofreaders---they are looking for volunteers to proofread materials to be included in the project. This was a real example of the communal and sharing nature of much of these new technologies.

No comments: